ii last night an mp3 saved my wife

Wednesday, April 20, 2005


Lou Reed - a gift.mp3

The latest Antony and the Johnsons recording (see earlier posting, and be sure to download it if you haven’t by now…you won’t be sorry (actually, you will be sorry, cos it's been taken down now! - ed)) has rarely been off the Really stereo…and it’s messing our minds up. It’s had us weeping, wailing, gnashing our teeth, contemplating the mysteries of life, love, and gender re-alignment surgery.

Or was that the cheese-spiked nightmare I had after watching Channel 5’s plastic surgery show? (turn on, tune in, and projectile vomit, kind readers…last time I saw it, someone’s face was being peeled off…then a shrivelled and spindly ‘Johnson’ was injected with pork fat...and its all hosted by Vanessa Feltz…gah!)

Anyway, so I found myself musing on the Johnsons...trains of thought jumped tracks, humped, bumped and shunted; ploughed headlong through autumn leaves; wheezed, heaved, farted, and finally ground to a halt to find me reaching for Coney Island Baby for the first time in years.

So many reasons to love this album, Lou Reed in top form, such a mellow sound you’re almost fooled into thinking it bland. Wonderful, misty backing vocals hazing in and out of the mix, sweet, glistening guitar, and in the title track surely one of the strongest lyrics of his career…

But balls to all that, I want you to hear A Gift instead, wherein the bard of brooklyn claims to be “a gift to the women of this world.” And then goes on to embellish this claim, all drawly and pokerfaced.

I’ve never heard such preposterous bragging. At this point in his life (not long after claiming how incredibly gay he was in Transformer, and by then dating a pre-op transsexual called Rachel), one can only marvel at the onion layers of irony wrapped tightly around it.

Was he taking the piss? Asserting his masculinity? Making some kind of statement on sexual identity?
Who gives a shit, you’ll be singing it in the shower for a week...
(click here to buy Coney Island Baby from AmazonUK)
Comments:
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a christmas gift site/blog. It pretty much covers gift ideas for christmas related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)
 
Our website offers a range of wonderful gifts for various occasions such as holidays, weddings, birthdays, wedding anniversary, graduations, kids and other special occasions.

Gifts
 
Your blog was very informative and on topic I hope you keep up the good work. Check out my website for an easy christmas gift idea from our holiday gift shop.
 
I love blogs like this.. I will be sure to bookmark this post today.
Do you like shopping online forr baby gratis invitaciones para shower. Visit our website for the best gift idea
 
Hey nice to read what you have to say. I am out searching for information plastic surgery costs howard county and stumbled across your page. My wife is thinking about going under the knife and I am trying to find out as much information as I can. Anyway Ign ius Really the this post of your page caught my interest and I thought I would stop by to see if you had any information on plastic surgery costs howard county. Hey, great page and thanks for the read.
 
Post a Comment