ii last night an mp3 saved my wife

Friday, November 19, 2004


Constable Transubstandanation – voices in my heaad.mp3

Although he never recorded a track with vocals on it, “the Constable” always insisted on writing lyrics for every recording he ever made. He would then make his “trans adjuster” (a musical instrument he built himself from various old synthesizers and WW2 weaponry) speak the words. He claimed he could understand what it was saying even when hearing it years later, long after forgetting the lyrics (he was a long suffering alcoholic and a crack addict).
This is from his debut EP “the trouble with me”, on which he played every instrument, including his self-made sitar.
It starts with a double bass line taken from some mainstream coffee table mid ‘90s dance track but he mutilates then reforms it as the backbone of some 4-track jazz sludge demo.
It gets me in the same way as “there’s a riot goin on” Sly and the Family Stone album - no matter how many times you listen to it you never actually feel like you really know it.
Of “voices in my head”, he said…
“ whenever I play a musical note, even if it’s me pinging my fingernail against my half-full wine glass, that feeling starts, and the single voice in my head becomes two, then three, then many, then suddenly I am the real me…”
Comments: Post a Comment